Wednesday 21 May 2014

Wednesday Wellbeing; Happy Memories

Today our wellbeing tip is really simple. It's to think of a happy memory. Just take a few minutes to sit somewhere comfortable and think about a memory that made you happy.

My beautifully scented lilac tree in bloom


One of my happiest memories is finding the house I live in now. My husband and I had a fairly long list of what we wanted and I thought we would have to compromise on a quite a few items on said list. We had looked at a few houses which had less bedrooms than we wanted, less space, needed too much work (no staircase and total shell), needed no work (how can I make it my own), were too expensive, and so on and so on. If you've ever house hunted you probably know how that feels. There's always a moment when you think, I could manage with that one, (the no staircase shell in my case) but luckily that moment passed.

And then we found our house.

I have to be honest it was a bit of a wreck when we came to look around. But I knew I could do something with it on a tiny budget and I managed to talk husband into buying it. Yeah.

The most exciting part for me was the outdoor space. I previously had had a very small back yard, which was about 3 metres long by 2 metres wide. It only had sunshine in the morning. I packed that yard with plants and flowers and a bench and a chair. I lived in that house for 6 years and was a frustrated gardener for about 5 of those years. So my happy memory is looking back at the first time I set eyes on my current back yard and realised the potential.

I'm warning you, the before pictures aren't pretty!

Before
Before


 
Today
 
 
Today
 

 
 
Before

 
Today
 
 
I love this space so much. It's not perfect, it still needs time to mature. I do still kill some plants and am very much a beginner gardener. But thinking back to the first time I set eyes on this space and looking at these photographs I am so proud to see how much I have achieved in three years. That's my happy memory.
 
So what's yours?
 
 
 
Thanks for reading,
 
 
Kirsty 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment